Thursday, May 1, 2014

Husqvarna 149cc 22-inch Self Propelled Kohler-Powered AWD Lawn-Mower


Model #961450016 - Lowes
HU675AWD - Husqvarna

  So I am going to my local Lowes where I go to pick up some spray paint and a few sprinkler parts with my wife, when I suddenly get sucked into the outdoor tools section. Since I had just put a lawn in at the end of last year, and I'm already getting tired of borrowing my parents lawnmower/trimmer, I had decided I needed to buy my own at some point.

     I saw this awesome, bright orange, off-road wheeled looking mower and thought.. sweet! 149cc seems like a decent amount for my little yard. Plus, did I mention it's orange?! My wife pointed out it was on sale and that she could do an order online & pickup in the store and get it for well under $300! (Normally $299.95 online as of 4/30). So we grabbed it and also was talked into a Troy-Built trimmer (I'll link the review here soon) and checked out, forced it box and all into the back seat of her little 2000 Ford Focus and drove it the 30 miles home!

   Sorry I didn't get to show you the unboxing of it, I decided as I was mowing the lawn for the first time to start this channel and do reviews and what not after I had put it together and thrown all the extra parts away. Sorry guys!! I will try to do better with future toys!

    Let's get mowing.....ugh.... going!

    I have to tell you, I've haven't really used anything from Husqvarna except maybe a chainsaw or two in my life. My whole life of 28 years ha! So I was a little wary, but after talking with the nice salesperson at Lowes, it seemed like the mower had been selling good and had little to no returns. So I took the dive. The first thing is that it's orange! (Not that I've mentioned that a few times). I know Husqvarna's color is orange for everything they pretty much make, but I love the color orange and it make the mower look fun and exciting. Exactly what I need to get motivated to mow my lawn.

     Assembly was not difficult at all, although there was a cable holder, (I'll put a picture up later), that pretty much broke off as I pulled it out of the box. My fault that it happened, but c'mon Husqvarna, everything else feels solid on this and you cheap out on the single cable holder? No worries, I fixed it with a small nut and bolt.

     This machine sports a 149cc Kohler 4-cycle motor, AWD drivetrain and a 22-inch blade. It is self-propelled and variable speed, mulch and bagging capable and is equipped with an easy-pull system. After I got it assembled and got the oil and gas in, it was time to fire my new orange baby up! First pull, nothing. Second pull, nothing. Then I realized you have to hold the blade control down while pulling it. DUH! Pulled down the blade control (top lever) and pulled and it stuttered for a second and fired up! I let it run for about 60 seconds like that and then went to town on my lawn! Would definitely say one of the easiest pull-to-start motors I've ever used.

     Talk about smooth! I've always used a hand me down or worn in lawn mower that maybe hasn't had the oil changed in 2 years. It had a nice purr to it and spun up. You could tell it was a new engine with a few sputters but that soon dropped off and it ran fairly smooth. I started mowing my lawn at a diagonal and it just chewed through the grass and left it nice and even across the top! The AWD pulled it through the grass and even through the spots where I have some pretty decent bumps with no problems. The one thing I did notice is that the drive doesn't really let you pull the mower backwards, I'm mostly sure this is just something that needs to be worn in with multiple uses, but I'll update on that later. The variable speed for the drive works really well for how simple the setup is.

     For 149cc motor, it handle some thick deep grass really well and the one thing that I loved, but didn't notice when I was buying it is that the 22-inch blade actually sits right even with the wheels. This means I was able to get really close to my fence and edges. I almost didn't need to buy a trimmer! When using the bag it cleans up the cut grass really well, although once the bag was full the mower didn't shut off. A little disappointing but no biggie really. The motor only runs at one speed for the blades but again, not a big deal. I think there is a sweet spot for blade spin to chop the grass and I have to say I think they did it pretty well for this series.

     Cleaning is pretty simple. A little messy. But simple. It has a hose hookup for your garden hose. You just have to hook the hose up, turn it on a little bit and fire up the motor and run it for about 1-2 minutes to get it 80%-ish clean. I tilted my mower up a bit on the front wheels, propped it up with a couple of cinder blocks and use the hose by hand to gently spray off the remaining grass. Then you have to run it for another minute to dry out everything so it won't rust. Not too bad, doesn't use that much gas to clean it. Since it helps keep your mower running well too, it's worth the extra little bit of time and money to run it.

     Overall for this product I would give it a 9/10 for the price. You get a lot of great features and it works really well for the first time mower buyer who maybe can't afford a $800 machine. I feel that if you keep the machine clean, do the oil changes and maintenance work regularly, (which I will try and put up on here and YouTube), keep the blades sharp and just take care of it, that it could last you a very long time. If you do buy this, buy a small plastic bolt / nut in case the pin for the cable holder pops out or breaks.


Please leave me a comment if you have any questions about the mower you'd like answered or of products you'd like to see in the future! I'm hoping to get a few of these companies to sponsor a few videos where I can help you guys do what you need to do at home!
   



  

1 comment: